Taking your pet out of the country?
Here’s what you need to know.

If you’re going to be traveling internationally and plan to take your pet with you, it’s important to be aware of exactly what will be required for your animal companion to make the trip. International health certificates are mandatory, and some countries require proof of additional vaccinations and testing. You will find the certificate and other information about what’s required for your pet to travel at the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) page from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). While the certificate must be prepared by a USDA-accredited veterinarian, the requirements for entry are established by each individual country. It is your responsibility to make sure your animal has the necessary documentation to travel. 

South Branch Vet can assist you in getting your pet ready for your trip, including assessing whether they’re healthy enough to withstand the rigors of airline transport. Once your veterinarian completes the health certificate, it will need to be submitted for endorsement by mail or in person at your local USDA-APHIS Veterinary Services Export Service Office. 

The USDA suggests a minimum 10-day time frame for completing health certificates; however, many airlines require that health certificates be completed no more than 10 days prior to travel. You’ll need to contact your specific airline to find out their policy.

If you have further questions or want to schedule an appointment for your pet prior to travel, call us at 908-735-9998. Bon voyage!

Book Now